Sunday, November 18, 2007

Dizzying Digital Cameras

So, I was in the market for a digital camera a couple of months ago and I was AMAZED by how many choices and features there are! It was quite dizzying! I was originally thinking I just needed something to point and click at my subject and that was pretty much it, since I'm not a professional photographer. I did lots of research first on the internet before going out to look at any in the stores, and this lead me into a vast world of cameras that actually gave me a headache just sorting through them. Do I want it to do video as well? What about sound? How many megapixels are good enough for me? How many modes are sufficient? How good is the macro mode? What about night mode, Black & White, Sepia tones...ARGHHH!!!!
Everytime I thought I had settled on a choice, I would change my mind. I had it down to 2 cameras (a Canon & a Fuji) at one point, but then changed my mind AGAIN! I didnt want to shell out over $200 on the WRONG decision, so I just gave up for awhile. I also find that camera makers don't always make their features clear and obvious, so you really have to do a lot of digging to find out what you want to know about it. There are many good camera review sites out there if you Google it, but ultimately it's your decision and you have to live with it. My advice is to do a LOT of research and don't just pick a camera that happens to be on sale. If it's on sale for VERY cheap, then it's usually because the store is phasing it out to make room for the newer models. That can be a problem when looking for accessories later on.
Basically, make a list of the features you HAVE to have and then research cameras that have those features in the price range you're willing to pay. Any other features a camera might have would be a nice bonus, but dont let it sway your decision too much if its a feature you'll probably never use anyway. Take your list and research info with you shopping and then look for what you want. If you are well prepared beforehand then this will be less painful than it could be and you may even walk away with a great deal!! Good luck and happy shopping!

No comments: