Monday, November 19, 2007

A New Direction

I originally started this blog because I wanted to discuss stuff about myself and what I do, like so many others out there, but really, who cares? You wouldnt care about my Aunt Martha or what I had for lunch anymore than I would about you, so let's just bring things into focus, shall we?

I am, in fact, a musician, among many other things, and I have a great passion for the subject. I eat, breathe and sleep with songs in my head 24/7 and it's (to use a cliche) really the soundtrack to all our lives. Many years ago, while attending University for my degree in Philosophy, I wrote a weekly newspaper column called "Vinyl Preservative", which mostly dealt with biographies on lesser known obscure bands worth checking out. I would like to pick up here where I left off then, but with more of an emphasis on not just obscure curios in music, but the historical context of that music. To that end, I expect to eventually hit upon a hot topic or two, most notably the attitudes among people of different races over the years as music has changed.

Some of the things I'd like to see discussed here are topics like the origins of slave songs and how they've changed with the Disney mainstream, gender specific music marketing, boy bands, why heavy metal is associated with satanism, dust bowl ballads and cylinder recordings. And that's just to get started! I plan to make the topics very interesting so please bookmark me and feel free to join in with a comment anytime. Thanks!

No comments: